Kriya Yoga is essentially purification, ritual Yoga. There’s thousands of Kriya traditions but all have ritual element & detoxification at their root.
The Yoga Life Kriya is a combination of methods I use in my personal daily morning practice some I have taken from courses I have attended and some I have kept with me from my first teach 13 years ago.
The Kriya is the perfect way to begin your day and if you are able to join me everyday this week you will feel the benefit from an intense period of physical & mental detoxification.
There are so many amazing benefits of this Kriya that I would love as many of you as possible to join me.
Get online book a FREE class and set your alarm!
See you on the mat 7am Mon-Thur this week.
1) Oil Pulling also known as “kavala” or “gundusha,” is an ancient Ayurvedic dental technique that involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for around 20 minutes. This action has been used to improve oral health but also to improve your overall health.
2) Neti Pot. A net is a container designed to rinse debris or mucus from your nasal cavity. You might use a net to treat symptoms of nasal allergies, sinus problems or colds. If you choose to make your own saltwater solution,
If you have a neti pot and want to take part in this element of the kris please bring it along. You can purchase a net pot from us for £5 (limited net pots remaining).
This part is optional and not for everyone however its a fantastic way element to add to your Kriya.
3) Sun Salutations A & B can be found in some version within many modern day Yoga practices but the traditions that they are associated with actually span more than 4,000 years!
The Sun was held in reverence by many of the ancient cultures and the Sun Salutations we practice today embody many of those ancient rituals & traditional.
Sun Salutations are physical, rhythmic sequences that align breath with asana (movement/postures) to create a moving meditation. This moving meditation has some of the most rewarding benefits Yoga has to offer as you strengthen the body physically, boost circulation, & focus the mind on very specific individual moments.
When practiced enough the salutations bring you into the present- the mind doesn’t drift to worry of the past or longing for the future. You can be free of whatever has been pulling your attention and energy.
Each posture will connect with either an inhalation or exhalation and each breath will give your mind a complete focus of the NOW!
Essentially this could describe the entire Yoga practice! Being in the present, the now! When we are in that moment we are connected with the self & we are free.
For this Kriya we will follow my sequencing using specific numerical connections to the Salutations.
Surya Namaska A x 12
Surya Namaska B x 7
4) Pranayama are breathing exercises which clear the physical and emotional obstacles in our body to free the breath and so the flow of prana – life energy. On a purely physiological level your circulation will increase, you body warm up, your heart beat will rise & fall as we travel through the different techniques in this Kriya.
On a physiological level your mind will learn to pin point it’s focus on very subtle sessions & with practice this method helps us “deal” with fluctuating stresses we experience throughout day to day life. Through a regular and sustained practice of pranayama you can supercharge your whole body!
If you control your breath you control your thoughts. If you control your thoughts you control your actions & your life.
5) There are many different names given to meditation traditions but essentially there are 3.
1) focused meditation
While my personal meditation is transcendental I find a focused meditation easier to grasp in a group setting, especially with newbies.
The meditation will be short and very simple.
What Should I Expect?
First of all if you haven’t practiced meditations then come to this class everyday next week! The mind/brain is just like your muscles in that you need to practice and train them to experience growth & change. We need a specific action to be practiced over and over again for your mind/brain to change. With that in mind don’t dip your toe in- COMMIT!!
GO ALL IN!
Your mind doesn’t need to be 100% clear during the meditation, it will wonder off and thats completely fine and normal- you wont be the only one. You don’t have to have had any experience with Yoga of meditation you just need to be willing, enter without any prejudgement and let whatever happens, happen.
Make the extra effort & set the alarm to wake up a little earlier next week. Have some water but DO NOT EAT before class.
When you leave I’ll be giving you all a shot of apple cider vinegar before a matcha & caocao drink.
The class is FREE so spread the word, get family and friends to join you on a pre summer holiday detox week!
Everyone must register and book online as per normal class.
Enjoy the sun today and have a fantastic end to the weekend.
See you on the mat.